Saturday, January 30, 2010

Just a quick rant....

Today I saw something that worried me and the more I think about it the more it disturbs me.  Walking into Target the other day I glanced to the side and saw a product that I have never seen before.  It is basically a baby prop up toy in the shape of a children's favourite television character. 

Now I have no problem with the character itself or the fact that this lovable furry man is on countless baby and toddler toys, I have a couple myself.  The thing that worries me is the whole concept of the 'propping up' of babies too young to sit up by themselves.  Aside from the fact that a minority of babies may need elevating due to medical conditions I feel worried that so many of these products are for sale in our local department stores as it gives the notion that sitting babies up before they are ready is ok, perfectly acceptable and common practice. 

I remember hearing many times at our local Child and Family Health Clinic not to sit babies up before they are able to do so themselves or 'walk' babies by their hands until they are ready to walk themselves.  At the time I didn't think too much about it as my little one was still quite young but knowing what I know now about baby development I am worried that too many parents these days are trying to rush babies through their milestones, especially sitting and walking.  Babies will sit and walk when their bodies are strong enough and co-ordinated enough to do so on their own and 'help' with reaching these milestones is unnecessary and stressful for both parents and babies.

So to complete my little rant today, I would just like to say, relax, enjoy every day and don't be in a hurry for your little babies to grow up, it happens too fast as it is. 

Whew I feel much better now that I have got that all out!  Any comments?

2 comments:

  1. It is deeply concerning these products are marketed at parents and parents are expected to buy them. By making more people aware that these products hinder development or perhaps harm it, hopefully the market will fall out and these products will not be available any more. Thank you for bringing this to the attention of more people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was unaware of the problems that could arise from propping up babies until just after she was able to sit up by herself. I knew (well I thought that I knew) all the other dangers, like avoiding walkers and shoes. I used to prop Eliza up all the time. I am hoping that she hasn't been too damaged!

    ReplyDelete